The International Bodyboarding Corporation along with all world tour event organisers and their local governments have been monitoring the global COVID-19 situation on a day to day basis. The impact of the pandemic is unprecedented and whilst the IBC would like to see all the events run as planned, the safety of all involved, their families, fans and local communities is paramount.
As of today, Friday 20 March 2020, 6 of the upcoming IBC 2020 World Tour events have been suspended with one being rescheduled. Event organisers are looking to reschedule the current suspended contests for the second half of 2020, depending on how the situation with COVID-19 evolves in the upcoming weeks and months.
The following event has been rescheduled:
● Garden Classic, Kaui, Hawaii (unconfirmed new date June 6-7)
The suspended 2020 World Tour events are as follows:
● Wahine Bodyboard Pro, ES, Brazil (new date to be announced)
● Itacoatiara Pro, NI, Brazil (new date to be announced)
● Antofagasta Bodyboard Festival, Chile (new date to be announced)
● Bellavista Iquique Pro, Chile (new date to be announced)
● Arica Cultura Bodyboard, Chile (new date to be announced)
● South Africa Pro, South Africa (new date to be announced)
The following events remain unchanged, however this may change due to the COVID-19 pandemic:
● Kiama Pro, Australia (July 27 – August 29)
● Sintra Pro, Portugal (September 7 -13)
● Gran Canaria Fronton King, Galdar, Canary Islands (October 17-31)
As the IBC, event organisers and their local governments obtain more information and guidance surrounding COVID-19, further updates and amendments to the 2020 World Tour schedule can be expected. The IBC will announce any additional updates and changes in 14 days time.
The next event on the IBC calendar is the first dropknee event of the 2020 tour and is to take place in Kaui, Hawaii. The Garden Island Boogie Board Classic ( https://www.kaikeha.org ), originally scheduled to take place on May 9 – 10, has been pushed back a month and is currently set to run on June 6 – 7 pending county approval. This event is offering a prize purse of 5000USD. It is one of 3 qualifying events for dropknee riders, with the main event taking place at Portugal’s Sintra Pro on September 7-13.
The Wahine Bodyboard Pro, the first event in the 2020 Women’s world title race, has been suspended with the hope that the contest can be run in the second half of 2020. The all women’s bodyboarding event was due to take place on May 26 – 31.
Inlight of the current global situation surrounding COVID-19, the IBC urges all bodyboarders and bodyboard fans to follow the guidance and advice provided by their governments and health authorities in order to reduce the spread of the disease.